Our new twist on a French delicacy, made with frozen puff pastry and almond paste —
1 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Margarine
1 cup Apples — sliced thin
3 tbl Sugar
2 tbl Almonds — sliced
3 tbl Apricot preserves — or
Procedures: 1. Sift the 1-1/3 cup flour with the salt into a large mixing bowl. Cut in the solid margarine or butter with pastry blender until mixture is the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle 4-5 tablespoons water, a little at a time, over the flour while stirring with a fork, until mixture is just moist enough to hold together.
3. Form into a square and flatten to 1/2 inch. Roll out on floured surface to 12-inch square. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Toss sliced apples with 1 tablespoon of flour. Place slices down center third of dough. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over apples.
5. Fold up about 1/2 inch at each end. Fold sides over apples, leaving an inch of apples showing down center. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar and sliced almonds.
6. Bake in preheated 450-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Spread immediately with preserves. If preferred, omit the preserves and frost with a thin glaze made of powdered sugar thinned with milk and vanilla or orange extract.
Keywords: Apple-Almond Pastries