This is a very good meal. If you want to cook in the house you can cook it if you follow our rules.
Safflower oil for coating
2 cup Thinly sliced green apples
1/2 cup Dried currants
2 tbl Lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Date sugar
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3/4 cup Ground almonds
8 sht filo
1/3 cup Melted unsalted butter
1/2 cup Apricot preserves
Procedures: 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9- by 12-inch baking pan with shallow sides.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook apples, currants, lemon juice, vanilla, and date sugar until soft (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
3. In a small bowl mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and almonds. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle each sheet of filo with 2 teaspoons of the melted butter, then spread butter to coat filo evenly. Sprinkle sheets with almond mixture and pile one sheet on top of another. Line prepared baking pan with stack of filo sheets, folding edges where necessary to make 1-inch sides.
5. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook apricot preserves until soft, then spread evenly over top sheet of filo. Spoon apple mixture over preserves.
6. Bake pastry until slightly browned (about 20 minutes). Let cool, then cut into 2-inch squares.
Makes 12 squares.
Keywords: Apple-Apricot Pastries