Barley and Almond Stuffed Squash
The vegetable is a necessary food for all of us because it is essential to eat vegetables if it is healthy
1 med Acorn squash or other
winter squash of a similar size
1/3 cup Almonds chopped
1 tbl Olive oil
1 1/2 cup Onions chopped
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 cup barley cooked
1 tbl Tamari soy sauce
* Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Discard the seeds and membrane and place the squash cut-side down on a lightly oiled baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until the squash is still firm, but tender enough to easily scoop out with a spoon, about 45 minutes.
* After the squash has been baking about 25 minutes, place the chopped almonds in a pie tin or another small ovenproof container and bake until they turna toasty light brown (10-15 minutes). Check boththe almonds and the sqash occasionally so you will know when they are done.
* Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and the thyme.
* Saute over low heat until the onions are well done. Add the cooked barley, tamari, and toasted almonds to the sauteed onions.
* Using a small spoon, scoop bite-sized chunks out of the cooked squash, leaving enough flesh around the shell so that it stays strong enough to hold its shape. Add the scooped out squash to the barley mixture. Mix well. Fill the empty squash shells with this mixture, mounding it as high as possible.
* Place the stuffed squash in a baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes
Keywords: Barley and Almond Stuffed Squash