Bean-and-Winter Squash Chili
A quick and easy one-pot vegan chili made with black beans and squash. … Add the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper. … may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats.
1 cup fifteen bean mixture, soaked
overnight and drained, (see note)
7 cup water
1 tbl canola oil
1 lrg red onion, diced
1 lrg green or red bell pepper
seeded and diced
2 stalk celery, diced
2 x cloves garlic, minced (2 to 3)
2 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
15 oz canned stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbl dried oregano
1 tbl chili powder, up to 2
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
Procedures : * MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS. VEGAN
* This stick-to-your-ribs chili explodes the myth that vegetarian food leaves one feeling hungry.
* In a large saucepan, combine 15-bean mixture and water: bring to a simmer.
* Cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain; reserve 3 cups cooking liquid.
* In another large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; saute 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cooked beans, cooking liquid, squash, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Cook 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
* Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with warm French or Italian bread if desired.
* Makes 6 to 8 servings.
* NOTE: 15-bean mixtures are available packaged in supermarkets and health food stores. If you prefer, make your own by combining equal amounts dried black-eyed peas, red kidney beans, white kidney (cannellini) beans, green lentils, split peas, black beans, yellow split peas, navy beans, cranberry
* (Roman, shell or shell- out) beans, great Northern beans, pinto beans, small white limas. red lentils, cow peas (field peas) and pink beans. Avoid using beans such as garbanzos and large lima beans, as these take longer to cook than other varieties
Keywords: Bean-and-Winter Squash Chili