Empanada / Empanaditas
While it’s quite tasty, it isn’t the healthiest meal you can consume. The great news is you can still get your empanada fix with all the flavor, but less calories, fat, and more nutrition with healthier versions. … The dough is made with packaged pie crust and these empanadas are baked
* 5-cups all purpose flour
* ? – cup fat
* 4 pieces whole eggs
* ? – cup water
* Cornstarch for dusting the dough
1. Measure all the ingredients.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place flour and add in sugar and fat.
3. Blend until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
4. Add in water, salt & eggs.
5. Pour in the liquid mixtures then mix thoroughly to develop the gluten.
6. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic for about 20 minutes.
7. Form into a large log and divide into two parts.
8. Round the other half of the dough in a greased bowl and rest for twenty minutes.
9. Round the other half of the log into smooth balls, the size of the grapes and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
10. Sheet out dough with a rolling pin dusting with cornstarch until desired thinness.
11. Roll dough over rolling pin and form a 1? ” diameter log.
12. Slice the log thinly and rest for 15-20 minutes.
13. Flatten dough over dough and shape into empanada. 14. Put in the filling and seal the seam well.
1. ? kilo lean pork (ground)
2. ? kilo potatoes (cut into cubes)
3. ? kilo onions (sliced into cubes)
4. 4 tablespoons raisins
5. 3 tablespoons pickle relish
6. 1 teaspoon salt
7. ? teaspoon black peppercorn (ground)
8. 2 tablespoon sugar
9. 1 gallon fat for frying
1. In a deep fryer, heat oil and fry potatoes until crunchy.
2. In a pot, boil ground pork with? -cup water.
3. Add sugar, raisins and pickles.
4. Add in potatoes and onions.
5. Season with salt & pepper.
6. Drain off excess liquid.
7. Let filling cool before using.
8. Deep fry in hot oil until light golden. Drain in paper towels and let cool.
Keywords: Empanada / Empanaditas