Meatless Beef Tamale Surprise
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 6.5 Hours
- Total Time: 7.5 hours
- Yield: 36 Servings
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 pound meatless ground beef crumbles
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh salsa
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 box of cornbread/muffin mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/3 cups coconut milk
- 3 1/2 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 Jalapeno pepper (diced)
- 3/4 cup fresh salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
Step 1: Take out a 5 to 8 oz. crockpot and spray with non-stick cooking spray, set aside for later.
Step 2: Using a large non-stick frying pan, cook meatless ground beef crumbles, garlic, and onion until browned, stirring it occasionally.
Step 3: Thoroughly drain mixture and add yellow bell pepper, tomato sauce, salt and pepper, chili powder, and fresh salsa. Pour it into the sprayed crockpot.
Step 4: Using a large mixing bowl, prepare the cornbread/muffin mix, butter, milk, and egg substitute together until smooth. Next, add in the sharp cheddar cheese
and jalapeno pepper.
Step 5: Scoop out the cornbread mixture and spread over meatless beef in crockpot.
Step 6: Cover tightly with lid and simmer on a low setting for 6 1/2 hours. Inserting a toothpick inside periodically until coming out clean. Then sprinkle sharp cheddar and Parmesan cheese over top and let sit for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Step 7: In a medium size bowl mix fresh salsa and sour cream; adding cilantro or other ingredients you like. Place atop meatless beef cornbread mixture and serve.